February 18, 2010

The New Me


In November of 2008 I was becoming depressed about my weight because I always felt bad. I didn't have energy to play with my little kids. I felt very unattractive.
So, I contemplated stomach surgery but I knew that for me, it would not work. My problem was that I was addicted to food. I had to overcome this addiction.
The Bible teaches us to bear each others burdens. So, I went to 3 ladies that I thought would help me and asked each one to help me to overcome my obesity.
My cousin Lori agreed to meet with me 3 times a week at 5:30 am to exercise. She was faithful. I could not skip exercise because she was so willing to get up and meet me at the gym. We began December 1, 2008.
My good friend Cindy agreed to call me every afternoon and ask me what I had eaten and what I planned to eat the next day. If I had a birthday party, I would tell her that I planned to eat one small piece of cake. She always asked me the next day if I stuck with my plan. She was faithful to call me and very stern with me if she needed to be. She also encouraged me all along the way.
My other good friend Shiela, is a personal trainer. We lovingly call her "the smiling nazi" because she can force you to do things that you would never think you could do with such a sweet smile and gentle voice. She never gave up on me and I was determined to perform every exercise she made me do. I still go to her gym Mon, Wed, and Fri morning at 5:30am with my mother to work out.
I weighed 235 pounds when I started on Dec. 1, 2008. I have weighed 148 pounds for the last 4 months. I have focused on eating like a "normal" person. I could lose another 10 pounds but I would be miserable trying to stay at that weight. I eat what I want in moderation. I still have a coke several times a week as well as some fattening food. I just don't eat it ALL the time and I don't eat an entire box of cookies at once. Just 3 or 4.
Losing weight has changed my life. I ride horses, race with the kids, and my husband thinks that I am beautiful. God gave me loving friends that cared enough to help me bear my burden and defeat the "demon" of gluttony. I am very happy.
Every day is a challenge. Every meal is a challenge but I just keep saying to myself a phrase that a good friend of mine always says, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".
I hope my story helps to encourage anyone who wants to lose weight and feel better. I would be happy to give more technical info like my food and exercise plan if it would help.
In the previous post are some pics of me before the weight loss. I am the same person inside except that I feel that I can accomplish anything now. If I could lose 87 pounds and keep it off then I am not afraid to try anything.
God bless you friends. God is good and faithful to give us the strength that we need to overcome our weakness. He is good.

3 comments:

Jessi Dawn said...

That's really awesome, Tanya! Praise God!

I am walking a simliar journey. I have lost about 25 pounds as of Nov 1, 2009. I still have a ways to go, but what is more important is the freedom I am walking in. God is faithful. He is freeing me from the chains of food addiction, as well.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Our House of Five said...

Tanya, thank you for sharing your story! It is very inspirational! Tracy (Cooper's aka Lan Yu Hang mom)

Chasity said...

So proud of you!!