May 06, 2008

THE FAMILY TABLE

Proverbs 14:1 says, "A wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her hands (mouth)." I have a story for young wives and wives to be.........

This is our new table. My husband and young sons built it for our family. It is the family table. For many years I have wanted a large table where many could sit and eat and fellowship. We found one at the furniture store. It was $3500.00!!!!!!! Of course, we talked of how we could afford it, or save for it but that is soooo much money.

So, we began to think about building one. I drew a plan for one and put it on our fridge. Sunday after church, Meredith asked if I wanted to go to Lowes and buy the materials. Well, all I wanted to do was take a nap! But, this was my opportunity. So, we loaded up and went to Lowes. Understand, young wives, that when you husband offers to do something for you, don't put him off. You both will miss a blessing. Just have a cup of coffee, smile, and go!

Around 6:30 Sunday evening Meredith, John, William, and Luke began working on the table. They measured, cut, sawed and hammered for 4 hours. And then they were done. We stood looking at our new table. John and William stood watching me study their work. They asked, "What do you think Mamma, do you like it?" Meredith stood behind them looking at me too. I knew he was as anxious for the answer as they were but he was too grown up to ask. Now, at that moment, I could have been critical of their work. I could have pointed out little flaws here and there and totally crushed them. But, I remembered Proverbs 14:1 about how a wise woman builds up her house but she can destroy it with her hands (or mouth as I usually think about it) and I smiled from ear to ear and proclaimed, "It's perfect. I just love it. Thank you guy so much for building our family table. I am so proud of it and of you!!!!!!!" They were absolutely beaming. The next day I stained and varnished it. It is truly lovely.

There are so many lessons to glean from this project. As I pondered our experience today, this is what I learned.

First of all, the memories we made are priceless. Would they remember so well a furniture truck pulling up in our yard and bringing a factory made table into our house? Or, when they are married will they tell the story of our table to their young wife? Will they tell her of how they built the very same table in which they sat to tell us of their engagement? Will they assure her that they will build her one prettier that mine? Will they remember how proud their little hearts were the night they got to stay up after 10pm to finish it for me?

Second, do you think my dear husband might be just a little appreciative that he didn't have to fork over thousands of dollars so I could have a beautiful table in which to continuously yell at our children not to ruin? Do you think he was proud that he was able to make me happy by building something for me with his own hands?

Third, I was thinking of how our "Family Table" reminds me of our family. You see, it is Meredith's vision that designed the table (he changed my design to a better one) just like it is his vision that gives our family a plan to follow. It is his strength that built the table just as it is his strength that is required to lead our family. Once he had the vision cast and the table built, I added the color and shine just as I add grace and joy to Meredith's leadership within our family. The children made the building of the table challenging and exciting, just as they add childlike excitement to everything we do in our family. God's design for a family is so wonderful and when we follow it, we can be sure that the result will be so beautiful for generations to come.........just like our family table! It will stand strong and serve us for many years just like our family stands strong and will serve the Lord until we meet him in the air!

So, please, stop by some time and see our table. We are all very proud of it. It's not perfect. Neither are we. But we love our table and we love each other. That's all that matters. You are welcome to sit at it and fellowship with us. Have some berry cobbler and ice cream, sit a while, share your time and you life with us and always be sure to ask me about the joy that is in my heart because I am just so excited to share it with you!

So, young wives, please read this and learn some of the most valuable lessons for a happy home. Be very appreciative of everything your husband does for you, don't ask for things that he might not be able to get for you, let your children see you admire their daddy, thank them daily for their service to you, love your family, read your Bible daily, and ponder everything to learn God's lesson for you and your family.

God bless you and your family!

1 comment:

Chasity said...

Beautiful...I love it...and the table. :)