February 16, 2008

February 16 Lanzhou, China

Thanks Mary. You are a smart lady! Mary told me how to get around the firewall and be able to access my blog.

Okay, I have a new camera, I can post on my blog and I am ready to get Laura. Sally, our guide, will call us in the morning when they are downstairs with Laura!! I am getting nervous. But more excited than even I could imagine.

Well, today was interesting and MUCH better. After breakfast, Granddaddy the 3 little boys and myself toured the hotel. We found the pool, the pool table, and the ping pong table. We paid for an hour of ping pong and took turns missing the tiny little ball. Granddaddy held Luke up so he could reach to swipe at the ball. And he did hit it a couple of times.

Meredith and Bradley went off in search of food and came back with KFC. They said that it was very hard to order because noone understands them. But they had enough food for everyone and that's what counts. We had chicken. Just chicken. And let me tell you. It was spicy. Really spicy. The little boys were holding their mouths but kept eating! I just can't believe you can't get a Dr Pepper ANYWHERE in China!

Sally arrived at 2pm so everyone went shopping except me and Luke. HE WENT TO SLEEP!!!! God is good. He is still asleep and I am hoping he will make it through the night and get rested. Just to wake up and find that he has officially been booted out of the saddle! I am sure he won't give it up without a fight. Sigh.

Meredith and the boys came back with water. Let me share something with all you spoiled Americans. Water is liquid gold. Preserve it! It is very dry and cold here in Lanzhou and you must drink alot of water which has to be purchased and drank from bottles. Bradley and Sally stayed on the town and shopped for a new cell phone. He got a great deal and Sally is VERY good at getting what her customer wants. And of course, Meredith bought us a new camera. We really must break this camera curse we seem to have. We go through more cameras in one year than is imaginable.

After shopping, we watched Stripes on my computer and now the boys are safely tucked away in Granddaddy's room eating tuna and crackers for dinner. I really look forward to Guangzhou. But tomorrow we will have pizza from the Pizza Mira which other travelers have recommended to us. The hotel dining room is very swank and has good food but it's a little pricey so we won't eat there much.

Meredith and Luke are snoozing and I am typing my little finger off to try to capture every day. For my friends and family but mostly for us since I am sure I will read often of this adventure to Laura.

Tomorrow we will also celebrate my dad's 62nd birthday. We might just have to eat dinner at the hotel restaurant tomorrow night. If I feel brave enough to take 2 babies to dinner!!! lol

Please pray that Laura will adjust quickly and we will be sensitive to her needs as she transitions into our family.

God bless all of you.

4 comments:

marcy said...

Oh, this is so exciting!!
I'm hanging on every word! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Marcy in GU

Jennifer said...

Tonya,
I was so excited to read your blog. I know you are going to be busy......but keep it coming!!! I can't wait to see pictures of you and Laura!! By the way, we had a similar bathroom adventure with Hayley on a plane, not fun. I am able to laugh about it now though.
Love,
Jennifer

Hammond said...

Tonya,

Great to read about what is going on with you all in China. How is Bradley working through this? I am hopeful all are well. Can't wait to see that beautiful girl.
Storming here, tornado watch for our area.
Happy Birthday, Bradley!
May God bless!

Love,
Hammond

Sandi said...

Tonya,
Other than expense... and we DID eat tuna and crackers in our room on ocassion also...don't pass up the opportunity to try real chinese food! There are SO many wonderful tastes! It's really not scary. So, be brave! ;) Just stay away from raw veggies.

I am just sure you are with Laura RIGHT NOW as I type this! WOOHOO!!!

Hugs,
Sandi in FL